Thursday, August 06, 2009

Hanging on

Early this morning when the air was still misty and barely light, I let Isabelle out the back door. She took off for her favorite spot and disappeared from sight. I looked around the glassed-in porch thinking I needed to do some organizing and cleaning out here today.

When I looked back outside, Isabelle was hanging from the side of the pool!

I started running toward her speaking words of comfort, "Hold on Izzy. I'm coming."

When I reached her, I tried to coax her over just three inches to the step where she could gain her footing and climb out. She wouldn't budge. She pulled harder on her two front paws somehow digging her claws into the concrete and tile. I reached under her front leg and gave her a small lift which was all she needed to make her way out of the pool.

As I dried her off I noticed that her head and front paws weren't wet at all. Somehow she had fallen into the pool backwards and caught herself on the edge. And instead of letting go and swimming to the steps which she knows how to do, she desperately hung on. With her weight and girth, there wasn't much hope of her getting out alone yet she wouldn't let go.

How many times do I hang on to my opinion or stubbornly cling to my ideas when all I'd have to do is reconsider my position just a little bit to be safe and happy? How many times do I cling to my way instead of letting God show me a better way?

I'm so glad God is willing to give me that little nudge I need to lift me out of danger. Other wise I'd just be dog paddling alone.

Ps 10:12 Arise, Lord! Lift up your hand, O God.Do not forget the helpless.
Ps 40:2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire;he set my feet on a rockand gave me a firm place to stand.

1 comment:

Sally Ferguson said...

I am like your puppy too often! I cling to my self-sufficiency and neglect to let go and swim, like my Father has taught me. How I wish I would remember the safety of His net and be courageously His!