Friday, November 28, 2008

You can only remember if....

When Peter went to Cornelius' house in Caesarea Maritima (read the whole story in Acts 10-11), he witnessed the salvation of Gentiles. "Repentance that leads to life" was bigger than any of the disciples imagined.

When Peter described the phenomenon, he said, "Then I remembered the word of the Lord, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'" (Acts 11:16). Peter remembered the words of the Lord because those words were burned into his memory.

You can't remember something unless you’ve heard or learned it. You can’t recall information, feelings, or truths unless you have those facts and emotions stored in your mind. You can’t recall scripture unless you’ve read and memorized it.

Memorizing scripture gets the words of God into you.

If you put scripture in your mind, it sits ready for recall when you need it. And you will need it! To answer questions. To comfort when troubled. To turn on the light of understanding when life takes a downward tumble.

I love to memorize long passages but most people don’t want to hear me say these verses. I started memorizing the book of Acts and after I had memorized chapters 1-9, I couldn’t get anyone, not even my own mother, to sit still long enough to listen to it.

But it was good for me.

One day I was teaching a lesson on JOY from Philippians 4:4-5. Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

One of my points was your joy will help you in troubled times. As I was speaking to my class and giving this point, it seemed that my examples were kind of weak and preachy. (I was thinking – this isn’t working) Then, all of a sudden a verse from Acts 5 popped into my mind.

The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ. Acts 5:41-42

I quoted it to the class showing when joy overcomes suffering and shows in your behavior. The disciples could have been sad, mad, or depressed, but instead they rejoiced and never stopped proclaiming the good news.

I had not planned to use the verse but it was in my mind from memorizing and it came to me when I needed it.

If you memorize Scripture, it will enhance and enrich your life and your presentations.

So if you haven’t started memorizing, start now.

Today I am starting to memorize Psalm 30. Will you join me? It will be an adventure. And as the title of the Psalm says there will be JOY IN THE MORNING when we do it.

If you will take this challenge, email me at kaeporter@gmail.com or add your comment here.

11 comments:

Evelyn W. Davison said...

Go Chockie Lady, you are a joy!

I loved the picture of you and the "folks" in the Woods of the Word! Good illustration!

As blessed as remembering is, forgetting can be just as wonderful.... unless you can't find your keys, your glasses or your chocolate kiss! Then it is a snare.

Pray you are doing well. I really love your blog. You need to be writing something for the CLASS blog.

I skipped it this month because the assigned subject is "tech" and I am not a "techer." If I were I would follow your example, and start a "beautiful blog."

Blessings and love,

The Love Lady ....

Fabulous Granny said...

Hi Karen

Your missive put me in mind of how the word of God becomes a permanent part of our hearts when we examine its richness and soak in it's goodness. I'm thinkin about taking you up on your challenge. Be blessed! Sharon J

izonprize said...

Dear Karen,
Thank you so much for inviting me to read your blog. I will certainly attempt to memorize Psalm 30 with you. I love the Word of God; it is life and food for my soul. God bless you always. I invite you to read my blog as well. www.izonprize.blogspot.com
Love Never Fails,
Leeanna

Brenda Nixon, Author and Speaker said...

Nice blog Karen.

Sharon Elliott said...

I'll try memorizing Psalm 30 with you. I use KJV.

Smelling Coffee said...

Hi Karen~ So true about the importance of hiding God's Word in our hearts. I've really been convicted of doing that as a family, and we'll be starting in Jan.

I started a blog this summer (www.smellingcoffee.com), and it's been a lot of fun.

It will be good to stay caught up with what is going on with you. May the Lord bless you and keep you...

Jennifer Walker, ClasSeminar 2007 Nashville

Leah Adams said...

Karen,

I'll take your challenge and start on Psalm 30 today!!! It is so true about memorizing Scripture. I have found that the Lord will lead me to verses to memorize and when He does it is usually because He wants to teach ME something from those verses. Most recently He did that with Romans 12: 1-2.

Would love to have you come visit me at my blog The Point. Just click on my name at the beginning of this comment and you will be there!!

Leah Adams
CLASS October 2008 Atlanta

Sally Ferguson said...

Karen,
I confess that I have a hard time memorizing anymore. I used to admonish my discipleship classes that they could do so at any age, and now I am in their shoes. sigh.
But I will give it a go with you. Thanks for the inspiration to try again!

Texanna said...

Karen,
I recently read your new book, and loved it. I plan to share it with everyone I know.
Oh, I love the challenge to memorize Psalm 30. I'd love to take the challenge. So I give it all I've got, and I will have to take on an accountability partner(may be Larry) to make sure I get it done.
God bless you.
In Christ,

Stephanie Chase said...

Hey Karen!
Checkin' out your website to get ideas. This is beautiful and I love the pic at the bottom. Thank you so much for a fabulous week!
You are an answer to prayer and a gift to many!
Your trainee...Stephanie

Shonda said...

Scripture memory is important and an area where I'm lacking discipline. Thanks for the reminder.